Customs and culture in the Wipptal Valley – Sterzing
We live in a region which pulses and is worth living even beyond the so called high season. Convince yourself!
Here only a few examples what you can experience and enjoy in the immediate surroundings:
- Easter Drama in Sterzing, a cultural series of events,
- concerts and theater plays at Sterzing’s Theater,
- concerts in the ballroom at the Baroque Wolfsthurn Castle in Mareit,
- concerts of the brass band and the church choir of Trens,
- processions with traditional customs and dresses after catholic masses (e.g. Palm Sunday Procession),
- traditional fairs in different villages with typical rural products, entertainment and folk music,
- Yogurt-Days in summertime with specialty weeks, guided hiking tours, visit of the farm etc.,
- Dumpling-Days in September: on a dinner-table of over 300 m in the historic town of Sterzing more than 30 types of dumplings are served,
- Lantern festival in the pedestrian area of Sterzing takes place every Wednesday in high summer offering musical features, Schuhplattler dancing and regional delicacies,
- ceremonial driving down of cattle from the mountain pastures into the valley in autumn in Ridnaun / Maiern with following feast,
- Christmas Market in the beautiful late medieval mining town of Sterzing with traditional handicraft products,
- The mineral spring at the ancient “Wildbad Möders” (thermal spa) is said to heal skin diseases. For 500 years clockwise water has bubbled from the Saint Peter’s-Well,
- Bread and Strudel Market in Brixen: the way from the corn to the bread is illustrated in several steps. Even today the traditional baker’s craft plays and important role in South Tyrol.